FINE JEWELLERY MADE IN FLORENCE SINCE 1369:
THE OLDEST GOLDSMITH WORKSHOP OF THE WORLD
Florence and Tuscany have been the cradle of the arts since the times of the Medici’s Renaissance, and are the perfect example of our cultural heritage. But it is since the Middle Ages, the period of new techniques and arts, that the jeweller profession was formed.
Torrini, the oldest Goldsmith workshop still in business today, with 24 generations of jewellers, is a mix of tradition and innovation that stands out for its typical identity, where the values of tradition are combined with new technological discoveries, such as 3D and Laser.
State-of-the-art quality machinery coexists with ancient techniques that have never been abandoned, because, as Fabrizio Torrini says “They are the ones that offer the high craftsmanship value to our items. And the versatility of being able to tailor each jewel for our customers.”
The laboratory has an unmistakable Florentine artisan connotation, where some of the machines have never changed.
The processing method shows the fascinating aesthetic gesture of an artisanal production.
The Family roots back in year 1300. In Vignano, a small village (now even smaller) eastern to Siena, the untouched Medieval town famous for the Palio horse race.
They lived in Siena and made artworks there for over 300 years. TURA (forefather from who the naming came from as Turini, then Torrini), SANO, TURINO, GIOVANNI, TURINO E PIETRO.
The family was working as jewellers in Siena, at the famous Duomo.
The Baptistry of the “Duomo di Siena” has 6 statues, 4 of them are made by Torrini’s ancestors, the other 2 by Ghiberti (the famous artist, who has created the Golden Door of the Baptistry in Florence) and by Donatello. They made several other pieces of art in Tuscany, particularly in Pisa and Montalcino.
In Siena the family raised so well respected as to become for 28 times Piore, a public duty role.
Francesco Torrini (1676-1735 ca.)
Later in Florence, a historical date is marked by Francesco, who on 13 November 1700 enrolled in the noblest guild of the city: “The Art Of Silk” also known as Portarossa. It is no coincidence that the Art of Silk was chosen as a Guild to Francesco, since the goldsmiths belonged to this corporation from which their “job” of pulling very thin threads useful to be woven inside the silk drapes, and making them even more precious.
Giocondo Torrini (1827 -1896 ca.)
In the Census of 1841 kept in the State Archives of Florence, in the sheets concerning the population of the Parish of S. Salvatore d’Ognissanti we find news of another representative of the House of Goldsmith Torrini: Giocondo Torrini, born in 1827.
His activity is documented through numerous mentions and awards found in the catalogs of exhibitions and the existence of some jewelry such as the refined set, preserved at the British Museum in London, consisting of brooch and earrings with mosaic plates depicting the doves of Pliny.
The British Museum, has listed the art craft in the Italian Section B.M. # 1994,0111.1-3.
Guido Torrini born in 1896 and is a Grandfather of the actual owner Fabrizio. He has gone through both – the First World War and the Second World War. After the Second World War destroyed the workshop next to Ponte Vecchio, he rebuilt the business with his sons Aldo (born 1921) and later with Franco (born 1934 and father of the present owner Fabrizio).
They all continued crafting the family jewellery arts, along the following years, with most dedication and passion.
Alessandra (born 1949, Aldo’s daughter) managed the production from the seventies until 1991.
Fabrizio (born 1962) joined the Company in 1986. Since then, he followed up on several roles, aiming to a technical growth for a greater quality.
Since 2011 Fabrizio, father of Giulia, is the sole owner and Ceo of the historical Goldsmith Company, continuing family jewellery arts in the 24th generation.